April 17, 2008

Age of Conan Open Beta on May 1st

Ah, so many exciting news about AoC recently! Today Funcom announced that the Open Beta for Age of Conan will start on May 1st. Hold your horses, though - it might not be as 'open' as it sounds. First, only 50 thousand people will be accepted ('only' is relative, of course - 50k is a whole lot of players when you think of it). Second, you have to be a paid subscriber of FilePlanet to participate ($6.95/mo), as they're the ones distributing the game install. I have this long standing dislike for IGN and Fileplanet so I think I'll just pass on the offer and experience the game in full when it comes out, but I'm sure some people will jump at the opportunity.

As you might have guessed the 'not-so-open' beta has gotten various heated responses from the community. Majority of the questions were answered in the just-posted letter from Jørgen Tharaldsen, the Product Director of AoC. Personally, I don't really have any negative feelings about Funcom's choice - perhaps only them naming this test 'open' when it is not - but like I said before, I'm not going to pay for a stupid Fileplanet subscription just to get to play the game to 13th level (yes, this restriction is also in).

On a brighter note, it seems NDA will be lifted some time soon: the letter mentions it will happen 'way before we launch'.

No comments:

Post a Comment